Sunday, December 2, 2012

Blog Post #13

Brian Crosby

In the video Embed of My TEDx Talk by Brian Crosby he starts off by discussing fourth graders which rollover with him until the sixth grade. He also states that “90% of his students are second language leaners and they are at risk because they have free lunch.” He went on to talk about a survey he gave to students at the beginning of the year. Each student in his class has a blog and they also are involved in many projects with him. All his students’ embed video clips of their projects in their blog. He discusses how the students use many different sources in his class involving technology.

In my opinion Brain Crosby’s students are more advanced in using the internet than most adults and the big thing about that is they are second language learners. The students were not only blogging but they were also creating a wiki page. The students were embedding great projects in their blog. The project which really stood out was the high altitude balloon. I think it was great the students were able to explore beyond the classroom.

A Vision of Students Today
 student Vision
In the video it discusses how the everyday way of learning for students is changing. The video went on to talk about how much time and money students spend on books and in class. In many of the classes the teachers don’t even know the students names because an average college class size could be as high as “115 students.” Researchers suggest that “technology can save us” but many times students are not using their laptops in class doing classwork.

In my opinion the video is right about technology. I believe that college students spend a lot of money on unnecessary books and we waste a lot of time in the classroom. Many times I have purchased books that I never even use and I have been in classes that are a waste of time. I believe that they are a waste of times because the teacher is never prepared for the class. I love having online class because I am able to sit down in my own environment and do my work. I also believe that if a computer is used in class the student should in some way to restriction what sites they are allowed to use. When in class using a computer the student should complete class work and if they get caught doing something else a deduction of their grade should be the punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment