Friday, September 14, 2012

EDM 310 Class blog #3

Technology in Special Education
The video Technology in Special Education was a great informational tool. It was great to see that students who once did not have a voice and thought they never would was able to gain one in the end. Technology is a very important tool in her classroom because it was able to gain the attention of special need students. At first view you were able to tell that the classroom was a special needs room, but once she showed how technology worked in her class you couldn’t even tell a difference. Technology made her classroom do a full 360.
I believe in some cases technology should be included in the classrooms, but I think we should limit the students to a time. I believe that tunnel vision can develop from the constant use of technology and watching too much television. We should limit the students on using technology only when really needed, but not for everything. I have noticed in my pre-k classroom my students are fascinated with learning on the smartboard and they are always wanting to play learning games on it. Technology has it good and bad because the students need to learn that technology is not the only way of learning. I remember when I was a child going outside to play was the way I learned and I turned out great.
How the iPad Works with Academics for Autism
The video How the iPad Works with Academics for Autism was amazing to see a gifted young boy be able to complete a task happily. Going onApple.Education Apps.com helped me to find an APP that deals with Mathematics. I believe this APP could help enhance my special needs students math abilities. It practices mental addition and subtraction with motion of colorful fish. This APP will challenge the students mind to create different way to come up with a sum. This game I would use mainly in a small group setting with three to four children at a time.
Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts
In Video Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts the teacher hits every learning fundamental. In using technology the students learn so much. The student were able to use their creative abilities to learn more than just the average. She was able to teach the students at the level in which they are at because many students learn better by doing. Her students were able to teach a lesson from just the little bit of information she gave them.
Her classroom reminds me so much of EDM 310. Before I came to South cell phones and computers were not really used in the classroom. At South cell phone are welcomed to complete your assignments. I have learned that there is more to computers then just typing, researching, and facebook. I'm glad that I took this class because the school systems are going to paperless, so this class has done me some good.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Georgia!
    I enjoyed reading your blog post assigment. Your links are working great and you also included a picture! Whenever you were talking about the special education video you used the word "her" right off the bat. I think you should have told us that the presenter in the video was a female teacher before you used "her". I do agree that technology has its ups and downs, but regardless that is what the world is coming to.
    I am glad that you found an APP dealing with math, but I wish you would have included the name of the APP you were talking about.
    I agree that EDM 310 is a great class for us teachers to be in. There is so much technology in the classroom now "older" teachers do not know how to use these great tools.
    Good Luck!
    Cheyanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Georgia,

    So many of you relate Mrs. Davis's class to EDM! I am glad that you found a good app that would be useful to you and your students someday.

    One thing I would like to point out is that in your entire post, you didn't use a single comma. Commas are very helpful to your readers visually as they are reading your post.

    Also, your picture you use on your post needs to be relavent to what you are writing about.

    Let me know if you have any questions: stephen.akins1@gmail.com

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgia I agree with Stephen you should watch your punctuation. I think you App was great.

    I believe that if you introduced it to students they would enjoy it. Math is a very important subject. Is there any way you could post the name of your App. I have a three year old son that I would like to use it with.

    ReplyDelete