Saturday, October 20, 2012

Blog Post #8

This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2
Dr. Richard Miller
This is How We Dream videos was very incredible and it was wonderful to see where Richard saw the future heading with technology. It’s great that technology is evolving but at the same time it is very scary. Richard showed us where the world is now with technology and where he hopes it’s heading in the future. He discussed incremental and fundamental stages of technology. Incremental is the now and fundamental is what he hopes the future will be.

Richard believed that he was “living at the moment of the greatest change of human communication” in 2008. In 2008 was the time to really buckle down with reading and writing. Richard talked about incremental changes and the fundamental changes. Incremental is where we are now and that is working with our desktops/laptops. With incremental changes you could research the “riches of the world.” He was able to connect his research on school violence with “cultural and social commit to violence record to government documents.” The document was a printed document on his desktop and a web base document. With the incremental changes he was able to create documents, which was made up of print, pictures, and sounds.

I believe Richard Miller was saying that fundamental changes are composing with the web itself. He stated that “alphabet and images will be used to compose lectures or text.” The fundamental changes seem as if it would be a great way to interact with the world even better than now. I agree with Richard that “We as educators must be in the business of sharing ideals freely.” A teacher shouldn't have to recreate the wheel. The web is a great place for teachers to share or help one another. I think incremental works great now for teachers, but I do believe in the future we will have advanced to the fundamental way of sharing information.

Blog Post #12 by Carly Pugh
Carly Pugh
Carly Pugh’s blog post was marvelous. She used YouTube in a way that I never knew was possible. The creation of her YouTube project was hands down an example of Richard’s hope for the future. She was able to write her philosophy on teaching with media tools. It is Richards hope for the future that we will one day be writing with media. I believe the media way she wrote her philosophy was a lot more understandable than if she would have written it down on a piece of paper. It seemed to have brought her ideals to life. I think she was extremely close to Richard’s hope for the future and I believe if she had used more than just YouTube she would have been dead on with Richard’s beliefs.

Jaime Miller A.k.A Chipper
The Chipper series and EDM310 for dummies was fantastic. In the beginning of class, I thought that the way class was going was crazy. As time has gone on I have come to really enjoy learning the way I have in EDM310 because I appreciate it a lot more. The videos have also inspired me to want to create a Christian Facebook. Yeah I am going to school to become a teacher, but I also believe as a Christian, Facebook isn’t always pretty. On my site some words and pictures would be permitted. I love to create a digital portfolio of all my work and accomplishments to send for job interviews. In my digital portfolio it will ascent of an example lesson plan created on Prezi , a YouTube video with clips exampling who I am (thanks to Carly Pugh), a timeline toast of my job history, and a movie trailer of all my references. I think that this would be a great way for people to get to know who I am as a person and an employee.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn I agree and disagree with the video. I believe in some cases you cannot teach the basic fundamental of education through technology, but I do believe children have a wider range of research through the internet. I also believe that standardized testing is over doing it because what the children are expected to memorize for those test they may not need. On the other hand standardized testing is needed but it should be to see if the child is gaining the knowledge which is being taught. I do not believe in standardized test in the way we do them now because the teachers are becoming more of test teaching teachers. Many teachers teach the test in fear of losing their jobs or getting in trouble with their boss. When I was going to elementary school standardized testing wasn’t on the top of teachers list because they weren’t as important then and I was able to have a creative learning environment.
Edmodo is a wonderful site, which I would use to platform my classroom curriculum. Edmodo would be used to blog with parents and teachers from schools all over the world. I would use the site to inform parents of class assignments, extra assignments, school news, and questions. Edmodo would be a requirement for all students to socially network for class projects. I would also be able to privately discuss any parent concerns or grades.

The program which created Teaching In The 21st Century was Prezi. The program prices are very reasonable for both teachers and students. The public price is zero dollars for 100mbs. To enjoy yourself there is a low fee of $4.95 for 500mb of storage,to make your site private, to create your own logo, and premium support 24/7. For the Pro's it is a low fee of $13.25 for 2gb of storage,core features,use Prezi desktop,prmium support 24/7, use your own logo, and make your Prezi private.

Make beliefs comix

Animoto is a site which takes videos, pictures, and music to create a video. To create your video you can use your Facebook account or photo stream. The video would be set up with background music, the dates flashing in between photos, and photos or videos. The music can be music already available or you can upload music. You could design with a personal theme of you own or pick a theme.

Who is Smarter Boys or Girls?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgia, I admired how passionate you are about teaching and your beliefs about standardized testing. Also, I like the overall value of your post.
    My suggestions would be: one, it is inappropriate to call superiors by their first names without their permission. Always refer to superiors by their titles (Dr., Mr., Mrs. ,Ms.) followed by their last names. Two, you need to add details to clarify your thoughts. “It’s great that technology is evolving but at the same time it is very scary.” Why is it great that technology is evolving and what makes it so scary? “Richard believed that he was “living at the moment of the greatest change of human communication” in 2008. In 2008 was the time to really buckle down with reading and writing.” These statements are unclear, why did he say what he did? Why was 2008 the time to “buckle down”? You need to make those answers clear in your reflections. My corrections would be: one, titles of someone else’s work should have open/close quotations. “The Chipper series and EDM310 for dummies was fantastic.” It should read “The Chipper Series” and “EDM310 for Dummies”.... Also, in that same paragraph, while your comments about facebook are heartfelt, they are not relevant to the topic. In addition, you did not finish the second part of that assignment. Dr. Strange’s instructions said to write about ideas for a video that you would like to create or be apart of creating. Is that what your Christian facebook comments were addressing? If so, you should have made that clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Georgia,

    Great job on your links and pictures. I can see that you are able to use the alt and title modifiers. I think Molly has some good suggestions, so keep that in mind in your next blog post.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete